"Time in Babylon" sounds like...
Rick
2003-09-29 11:22:04 UTC
First of all, I am new to this group. I love Emmylou Harris' work,
especially her past few albums. It's so easy to see why Johnny Cash
declared that she was his favorite female country singer! My favoite
birthday gift is when my wife took me to see Emmylou at the Birchmere
in Va. a few years back.

One concern I have is about "Time in Babylon." I like the song very
much, and the message it conveys. What dismays me is that the music
for the verses and the rhythm of the lyrics is nearly identical to
Warren Zevon's "Prison Grove," on his final album, one on which
Emmylou helped out with the beautiful song "Please Stay."

Has anybody else noticed this?
Tristan
2003-10-19 16:54:44 UTC
Post by Rick
First of all, I am new to this group. I love Emmylou Harris' work,
especially her past few albums. It's so easy to see why Johnny Cash
declared that she was his favorite female country singer! My favoite
birthday gift is when my wife took me to see Emmylou at the Birchmere
in Va. a few years back.
One concern I have is about "Time in Babylon." I like the song very
much, and the message it conveys. What dismays me is that the music
for the verses and the rhythm of the lyrics is nearly identical to
Warren Zevon's "Prison Grove," on his final album, one on which
Emmylou helped out with the beautiful song "Please Stay."
Has anybody else noticed this?
I haven't noticed it because I'm not familiar with Warren Zevon's
music. I have noticed this incidence in other music though, such as a
Bach Concerto, and Lover's Concerto, by the Toys. It isn't unusual I
guess to find this on occasion. I've listened to alot of country music
and most of the melodies seem the same to me as is the stories they
tell.